Saturday, April 3, 2010

Clash of the Titans (2010)

3/5 stars

This is an action movie for the prepubescent (and men), full of monsters, swords and pretty girls. The monsters and costumes echo those in The Lord of the Rings (2001, 2002, 2003), but that's where the parallel's end-- except that Hades does resemble the Balrog when he's flying around in his smoky flame bubble. It's impressive that Louis Leterrier (director) was able to make an action movie that's entertaining the entire two hours without any gore or sex, but The Lord of the Rings still beats it.

Anyone with even a slight attachment to mythology should probably not spend money to see this Greek myth burrito; the film is all the famous Greek myths wrapped into one. Other than the names, the movie completely breaks away from the old stories, most grossly with the use of the kraken, a monster from Scandinavian mythology, not Greek. I'm not sure if it's completely narcissistic, but I've never seen a film leave an opening for a sequel to Greek mythology.

1 comment:

  1. Good review.

    I haven't seen the movie yet. My dad wants to take me to see it because of the awesome special effects and heavy action sequences. However, I've taken a Mythology course and from the previews alone, I can tell that the story deviates from Mythology significantly. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

    I'll still probably see it with my dad. I like action and fantasy a lot after all.

    ReplyDelete